Virginia Catherine McCall Holland

Published 12:01 am Sunday, August 21, 2011

NATCHEZ — Services for Virginia Catherine McCall Holland, 88, of Natchez, who went home to be with her Heavenly Father on Thursday, Aug. 18, 2011, will be at 11 a.m. Monday at McNeely Road Church of God with the Rev. Julius Roberts and the Rev. A.D. Gammill Jr. officiating.

Burial will follow at Greenlawn Memorial Cemetery under the direction of Laird Funeral Home.

Visitiation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. today and from 10 a.m. until service time Monday at the church.

Email newsletter signup

Mrs. Holland was born March 29, 1923 in McCall Creek, the daughter of Nolan Felix McCall and Hellon Louthera Miller McCall. Her family moved to McCall Creek (the old McCall residence) in the winter of 1927. Her first grade teacher, Ms. Mary Lofton Lewis, she loved dearly. One day during high school, she and the whole bus skipped school and went to McComb. When they arrived, they did not have any money so they turned around and went back to school. No one ever discussed the punishment for that day. Virginia graduated from Independent High School in 1941 as Salutatorian with a class of seven students.

After high school, she attended Drom’s Business College in Baton Rouge, but she could not continue due to financial obligations. She was unable to fine a resident family to keep her, so she was forced to come home. She moved to California when World War II began, and became employed at Douglas Air. There she worked for three years putting rivets into airplanes for our fighting men overseas. She often spoke of climbing all over the planes to insure all rivets were installed properly. Her skills were used to build the Bomb Arming Lever and the Bomb Releases Lever for the SBD Dive Bomber. She also installed the vinyl on the bottom of the plane, with rivets for the bomb door to open on A-20 Bomber. When she learned the war would soon be ending, she returned home and shortly after moved to Jackson to work at General Electric as an inspector with florescent light bulbs. Her tenure there was about one year.

Virginia had known and been associated with Robert Holland for many years, so they began dating. They dated about a year, and were then married on February 14, 1949. They moved to Natchez. She was employed by Blue Bell Clothing Factory as an inspector for about one year, and then she quit to follow her husband to Kansas with his job. After returning to Natchez, she never returned to work, but stayed home to become a devoted wife, mother and housekeeper. She taught herself to sew, and from that time, she made all the clothes for herself and her children until later in her years.

She was a Sunday School secretary, and always sang in the choir. After her marriage, she and Robert, along with friends, would arise early on Sunday mornings to sing at the radio station prior to the local pastor’s radio sermon. They would then drive to church to assist in preparing for service. Her love for God and dedication with church was shown throughout her lifetime.

Upon her husband becoming ill with rheumatoid arthritis, she became his caregiver, and assisted him through many surgeries and difficult times. Many nights she lost sleep due to him calling and needing her. She sacrificed everything to be a faithful wife and mother. As his health became increasingly worse, she continually assisted him in every capacity. Even though her family was on a limited income, she always managed to have food on the table, and she never missed a utility bill. She raised and slaughtered chickens every summer for the freezer, and she always raised a vegetable garden to fill the freezer. When her frustrations would overwhelm her, she would go outside and work in the yard to have some time to herself. She loved the outdoors. When Robert passed away in 1980, she found herself with a lot of available time. She had spent so many years waiting on him, that suddenly her life was empty.

Virginia was always a help mate in many capacities. In her later years, she was always available to assist her daughters in whatever church project they decided to do. She assisted with sewing for children programs, making props for VBS and whatever other projects needed to be completed. She enjoyed listening to her daughters play the piano and later her grandson, Michael, play his drums. She never complained of the volume, but enjoyed the fact he had a God-given talent. She will be missed by Michael, because he encouraged her to exercise and stay active. Her son-in-law, Brent, will always miss her wonderful fried chicken, the best ever! We are sure her reward will be great in heaven, because of the sacrifices she had on earth.

She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband; her only son, Stephen Robert Holland and her brothers, Clyde McCall, Nolan McCall, Joe McCall and Claude McCall.

Survivors include her two daughters, Joan Loutheria Holland Adkison and her husband, Brent, Diane Kay Holland Henderson and her husband, Glenn, all of Natchez; one grandson, Michael Paul Adkison; one sister, Peggy Sue McCall Allen and husband, Clinton Allen of Brookhaven; two brothers, Dan McCall and wife, Penny of Natchez and Enoch McCall and wife, Sue of Collins; her brother-in-laws, Donald Holland and wife, Sylvia and Leslie Holland and wife, Clarice of Bude and a number of nieces and nephews.

A special thanks for your patience to Deaconess Home Health and staff, inspirations and staff, Lifeskills and staff, Crown Health and Rehab and to doctors and staff, Dr. Sam Tumminello, Dr. Chad Norton, Mrs. Rose Chapman and Mrs. Callie Thompson.

Online condolences may be sent to the family at