Bluff gazebo shows weekend battle scars

Published 12:03 am Tuesday, August 23, 2011

NATCHEZ — One of the Broadway Street gazebo’s steps partied hard Saturday night.

Or at least it might have, Natchez Police Chief Mike Mullins said.

The top step is a bit charred, and something like a wayward cigarette butt could have caused the flames, Mullins said, but there were no witnesses and no arson charges have been filed.

Email newsletter signup

Fire crews responded at approximately 5:30 a.m. Saturday, according to a report.

A short strand of caution tape and two portable fences blocked off the entrance to the gazebo to keep people off of its steps Monday afternoon, which Mullins said is just a precautionary measure until it’s determined that everything is safe.