Saints return home to face Bowling Green

Published 12:01 am Tuesday, August 30, 2011

NATCHEZ — Two tough road games later, David King is glad to be playing at home this week.

The Trinity Episcopal head coach saw his team narrowly lose to Jefferson County High School in week one, then pull off a last-minute, game-winning touchdown pass against Centreville Academy Friday.

Now, the Saints return home in week three to face Bowling Green Friday, and King said he’s looking forward to Trinity’s home opener.

Email newsletter signup

“We’re glad to be on our own field,” King said. “We played in two great away-game atmospheres. Both were pretty impressive.”

And King said the two tough road games helped confirm some things he though about his team.

“We have a lot of work to do, but I knew that already,” King said. “We want the fans to be a little patient. We had some puppies on the line that had to battle two of the best offensive and defensive fronts we’ll see all year.”

King also said the last two weeks will serve as a preview of sorts for the postseason, should Trinity make it that far.

“We told our kids it won’t get any tougher than what we just had back-to-back,” King said. “That’s how the playoffs will be in Double-A, should we get there. It’s going to be like that consecutive weeks.”

While Bowling Green may not have the accolades of Jefferson County and Centreville, King said the Buccaneers have a history of being a very strong team.

“They have a very good coaching staff and a good tradition,” King said. “They like to run the football. They have a nice, big fullback that can run it, and they’ve had a good program for years.

Fundamentals on the offensive and defensive lines are the focal point in practice as the Saints gear up for the Buccaneers, King said.

“The joy of playing the season out is watching young men improve week to week, and I know these kids will,” King said.

One player that will be forced to sit out for a short while is left guard Wesley Gore. Gore suffered a minor concussion in practice last week.

“It was in practice, we were doing sort of a scrimmage, so it was full speed,” Gore said. “I remember falling over someone and hitting the back of my head.

“The next thing I remember is everyone standing around me, though I don’t remember what they were saying. I also remember my mom and dad taking me to the hospital.”

Gore said the doctors told him he needed to restrain from physical activity until they clear him to play.

“They said there were no complications; otherwise, I would have had to come back to them,” Gore said. “I’m not cleared yet. The original plan was for me to be out for two weeks.”

Gore admitted that it’s frustrating not even being able to practice.

“I really want to be out there,” Gore said. “It’s frustrating not being able to play.”