Green Wave wins 45-21

Published 12:10 am Sunday, September 11, 2011

Thomas Graning | Special to The Democrat — Cathedral High School’s Kyle Bradley (12), Brandt Pugh (30), and Daniel Huffines (15) stop Resurrection Catholic School’s Devonne Stephenson during the Green Wave’s win in Pascagoula Saturday.

PASCAGOULA — Cathedral took its high-powered offense to the coast Saturday night and came away with its first Region 4-1A win of the season.

The Green Wave piled up 507 yards of offense, and rolled past Resurrection 45-21 in a rare Saturday night game.

Cathedral head coach Ron Rushing said getting the first region win out of the way was a big relief.

Email newsletter signup

“I was uneasy all week (about this game),” Rushing said. “(Resurrection) has extremely talented athletes, and they run real well. I was worried all week.”

Resurrection looked as if it was going to validate Rushing’s worries early in the contest.

The Eagles got on the board first with a 51-yard run by Devonne Stephenson to take a 7-0 lead.

Cathedral answered with two scores of its own. The first came on a 9-yard touchdown pass from Caleb Upton to Tyler Flemming to tie the game. Just over two minutes later Upton hit Daniel Huffines on a 16-yard strike to give Cathedral the lead.

Resurrection tied the game on its next drive with a 65-yard run by Jared Shannon, and the game was tied 14-14 after one quarter.

Cathedral began to take over in the second quarter.

The Green Wave jumped out to a 28-14 lead on an 11-yard touchdown run by Khalil Brice and a fumble recovery in the end zone by Josh Callaway.

Resurrection got its final touchdown of the game in the second quarter on a 72-yard run by Stephenson.

J.D. Ealey answered Stephenson’s score with a 9-yard run of his own to make the halftime score 34-21 Green Wave.

“We came down here, and they hit us with big plays early with three long runs,” Rushing said. “But we adjusted at half time. Coach (Craig) Beesley made adjustments, and I think we got people in the right places, and kids started making plays. I was really proud of them.”

Cathedral scored twice in the third quarter. Brice caught a 9-yard pass from Upton, and Lee Fairbanks added a 35-yard field goal to give the Green Wave a 24-point lead, which they would hold until the final whistle.

Cathedral featured a balanced attack Saturday night. The Green Wave rushed for 246 yards and threw for 261.

Ealey had the biggest night on the ground for Cathedral with 186 yards on 24 carries and one touchdown. Upton finished his night 17-27 passing with three touchdowns.

Cathedral (3-0, 1-0) will host another region opponent in Stringer Friday. All of Cathedral’s remaining games are region games.