LSU game assault victim recovering

Published 12:03 am Friday, September 30, 2011

NATCHEZ — The mother of a Natchez native who was the victim of an assault following LSU’s win Saturday at WVU said her son’s recovery is on track, but he and his wife are still reeling in a fog about what happened to them.

“It’s a blessing that he’s doing as well as he’s doing,” said Natchez resident Lynn Britt about her son, Marcus Mason, 30.

Mason, a Cathedral School graduate, suffered a crushed eye socket, broken nose and broken frontal bone on his forehead as the result of an attack in which three or four men pulled him out of his car in traffic as his group left the football stadium in Morgantown, W.Va., Britt said.

Email newsletter signup

Mason returned to his home near Pittsburgh Tuesday after undergoing facial surgery, Britt said.

“Doctors told him he’s a very lucky young man,” Britt said.

Britt said her son’s wife, Hannah Mason, 32, who is 22 weeks pregnant, was also injured when she was pushed to the ground while trying to help her husband.

The couple is dealing with emotional ramifications of the sudden assault, as well, Britt said.

“Being pregnant you’re already emotional anyway, so it was very upsetting (and) traumatic for (Hannah),” Britt said.

Britt said Mason’s mother-in-law has been caring for him since the incident occurred, and she hopes to visit him this weekend at his home outside of Pittsburgh, where he has lived for more than a year.

Mason was first treated at Monongalia General Hospital following the incident before he was transferred to University of Pittsburgh Medical Center where he underwent surgery, according to a Morgantown Police Department press release.

Britt said her son, a graduate of University of Southern Mississippi, supported Louisiana State University at the game. But Mason apparently had on a solid white shirt Saturday and wore nothing that clearly identified him as a LSU fan, she said.

“We don’t know why (Mason was assaulted),” Britt said.

One theory of the families is that the assault was the result of a mistaken identity, Britt said.

Britt said other passengers in Mason’s car were also pulled out and beaten.

The assaults apparently continued until Hannah shouted she was pregnant, at which point bystanders intervened and the suspects fled.

Hannah suffered minor injuries, including scrapes and bruises when she was knocked to the ground, Britt said.

Britt said the Mason’s unborn child is reportedly unharmed and healthy after a check-up following the incident.

Two other men in the couple’s group, Nathan Glen Ray, 21, of Houston and Douglas Lewis, 34, of Canonsburg, Pa., also suffered minor injuries as a result of the assaults.

While her son and his wife have received plenty of support following the incident, Britt said they both want time to heal at home and recuperate together to prepare to deal with the situation.

“They’re like in a fog that hasn’t quite lifted yet,” Britt said. “They need some quiet time and healing time.”

Britt, a retired teacher, said she has been doing a better job since the incident of keeping her emotions in tact.

“You can only imagine, as far as (receiving) a phone call at 3 a.m., telling you your son’s been beaten up and you don’t know what condition he’s in,” Britt said.

No suspects of the assaults have been arrested as of Wednesday, and MPD has asked any witnesses with information about the suspects to come forward.