Woman in hospital after house fire

Published 12:11 am Sunday, November 16, 2014

NATCHEZ The family of a woman who was burned in a house fire last week is asking the community to help their family rebuild.

Natchez fire officials responded to a fully involved fire last week on Powlett Road, which quickly consumed the entire house.

Natchez resident Barbara Watts was inside the home with her husband James Watts and family.

Email newsletter signup

Barbara was transported to Jackson Central Mississippi Medical Center to receive treatment for her burns.

Watts’ daughter, Shannon Russ, reported that her mother is currently on a ventilator and may need it until Monday.

While getting treatment, Russ’ mother developed pneumonia.

“Her vital signs are good,” Russ said. “We started her on antibiotics for her pneumonia, but her condition has worsened.”

Since the fire, the family has seen an outpouring of help from the community. Russ’ mother is a retired nurse from Natchez Community Hospital, where she got to know many Miss-Lou residents.

“It’s very overwhelming,” Russ said. “We are very appreciative for everyone’s help.”

Watts and her husband lived in the home since 1984, but their daughter was able to save some fond memories.

“We found a few photos,” Russ said. “My dad is lost without his wife of 50 plus years.”

Russ said donations can be made at Regions Bank, under the account of Shannon Russ and Phillip Watts.

To contribute additional donations, such as clothes or furniture, call Russ at 601-597-0527.