Natchez man dies in house fire

Published 4:31 pm Thursday, August 27, 2015

NATCHEZ — A Natchez man died in a house fire at 8 Davis Lane Thursday afternoon.

Adams County Coroner James Lee said Lee Andrew Jones, 63, was dragged out of his house by a Natchez firefighter.

“The rescue was unsuccessful,” said Lee, adding that Jones is currently undergoing an autopsy to determine cause of death.

Email newsletter signup

Natchez Fire Department Chief Aaron Wesley said the NFD responded to the call at 12:15 p.m.

“The fire was located somewhere in his bedroom, but we don’t know at this time how it started,” Wesley said. “It’s all under investigation right now.”

Wesley said the victim lived alone, and no one else was injured in the fire.

Lee said he would know the cause of death some time Friday.

“I suspect it might have been smoke inhalation, but that has to be proven,” he said.

Wesley said this is the first time in approximately seven years that the Natchez Fire Department has dealt with a death at the scene of a fire.