Adams County man injured in mobile home fire

Published 12:18 am Friday, May 13, 2016

NATCHEZ — An Adams County man was hospitalized Wednesday evening after receiving burns in a fire at his residence.

Fire crews and Adams County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to the scene of the fire at 194 Cardinal Drive at approximately 5:35 p.m. Wednesday.

ACSO Chief Deputy Wayne Rabb said the victim of the fire, Duane Mize, had arrived home from work to find the power at his residence was off.

Email newsletter signup

Mize had set up a generator in the entry of the residence — a mobile home — before going to the back of the residence.

“When he came out of the back of the trailer, the generator and the area around it was on fire,” Rabb said. “When he tried to exit the trailer, that is when he got his burns.”

Natchez Fire Department officials said that Mize was outside the residence when they arrived, but that the fire was “heavily involved” — meaning that nearly all of the residence was burning — by that time.

Rabb said he did not know the extent of Mize’s injuries, but that he knew the victim had to be transported to King’s Daughters Medical Center in Brookhaven for treatment.

While officials believe the generator was the source of the fire, Rabb said the fire marshal is investigating the matter.