Tom Matthews golf scramble still on at Beau Pro
Published 12:00 am Friday, June 23, 2017
The fifth annual Tom Matthews Memorial Two-Man Scramble will go on as scheduled this weekend at Beau Pré Country Club, even with Tropical Storm Cindy looming off the Gulf Coast.
While most area forecasters are predicting just one to two inches of rain for the area over the next several days, a few of them are saying up to five inches are possible by the end of the weekend.
However, Beau Pré golf pro Bobby McCrimmon said the two-day tournament will not be canceled.
Email newsletter signup
“A lot of times the weatherman gets it wrong. It can rain in one part of town and miss the other,” McCrimmon said. “I don’t cancel any tournaments. If we have (just) one team, I’m not going to cancel it.”
The event will have 9 a.m. shotgun starts on both Saturday and Sunday, which is a change from last year when it had tee times on Saturday and a shotgun start on Sunday.
Last year’s tournament had a field of 30 teams and the team of Jeff Anderson and Casey Ham prevailed with a two-day score of 124. Even though only eight teams have signed up as of Tuesday morning, McCrimmon said he hopes to have a full field of 36 teams. He said the Anderson/Ham team has already signed up and is ready to defend its title.
Proceeds from the tournament will benefit the High School Seniors Golfers Scholarship Fund, supporting the area’s local high schools, McCrimmon said.