Employee hurt in county barn fire Tuesday

Published 1:19 am Wednesday, August 2, 2017


NATCHEZ — A fire Tuesday burned down an Adams County building in Kingston and sent a county employee to the hospital.

The Natchez Fire Department responded to a call at 511-A Upper Kingston Road at approximately 1:45 p.m. after the employee’s lawnmower apparently ignited while he was filling it up with gasoline, NFD Captain Rusty Anders said.

Email newsletter signup

The employee was rushed to the hospital via ambulance as firefighters doused the flames of the structural fire.

The barn is a county-owned building, which is mostly used for storage and as a dumpsite for trash and recyclables. Anders said the roof of the barn had already fallen by the time firefighters arrived.

Adams County Administrator Joe Murray said the employee had suffered only minor “flash burns” and was even considering going into work today. Murray said the employee was “very thankful that he did not get badly burned.”