Charges against suspect in 2016 shooting dismissed
Published 12:23 am Thursday, August 10, 2017
NATCHEZ — Charges against an Adams County man for a 2016 shooting at Holiday Apartments were dismissed Monday by the District Attorney’s office.
Michael K. Thomas, 20, 17 Jones Road, was set to appear in court Tuesday on a charge of aggravated assault. Thomas still faces charges for a February 2017 shooting at Holiday Apartments, which allegedly occurred when Thomas was out on bond from the previous charge.
Email newsletter signup
Thomas had been charged with shooting a man three to four times in both legs following a dice game in July 2016.
District Attorney Ronnie Harper said the July 2016 charges have been dismissed, but the option is still on the table to prosecute at a later date.
Harper said the issue with prosecution at this time is essential witnesses are not available. Harper would not elaborate on what not available meant.
“We have not ruled out refilling or representing,” Harper said.
Judge Forrest “Al” Johnson said Thomas’s February 2017 aggravated assault and armed robbery charges have been bound over to a grand jury, but that Thomas has not yet been indicted.
On Feb. 28, at approximately 3:30 a.m., Thomas allegedly shot and robbed a man who was sitting in a vehicle at Holiday Apartments. The victim was shot in the torso and was treated and released from the hospital.
Thomas was released Monday on a $50,000 bond.