More arrests made in connection with Oct. 1 shooting

Published 1:18 am Saturday, October 21, 2017


NATCHEZ — Three more arrests Friday have made for a total of 11 suspects apprehended in connection with an Oct. 1 Natchez shooting rampage.

Natchez Police Chief Walter Armstrong said police officers Friday morning arrested Kendrick Thomas, at his residence. Natchez Police Capt. Scott Frye said Adams County Sheriff’s Office deputies the same morning apprehended Terrence Brown, age unknown.

Email newsletter signup

Armstrong had not named Thomas or Brown as suspects prior to their arrests, though Armstrong Thursday said the department had identified more individuals in connection to the Oct. 1 incidents.

Thomas and Brown were booked on warrants for murder and four counts aggravated assault, Armstrong said.

At approximately 10:35 a.m. Friday, Stacy Woods II, one of the named suspects that had remained at-large, reportedly turned himself in to the Natchez Police Department. Woods II, 20, was wanted for a warrant for murder and five counts aggravated assault.

Another suspect whom had previously been identified also turned himself in, but Armstrong and Frye said the man would not be charged at this time.

Harry Smith Sr., 39, the father of one of the suspects arrested on a murder charge, had been wanted for accessory after the fact to aggravated assault. Smith Sr., however, fully cooperated with police and a statement he gave in conjunction with video evidence led police to withdraw the affidavit at this time, Frye said.

The charge could be revisited, Frye said, if evidence comes to light showing that Smith Sr. did indeed somehow aid and abet a crime.

Armstrong said he believed these individuals were “feeling the heat” after witnessing the multiple arrests that occurred earlier in the week.

Armstrong said he believes one unidentified suspect remains, while Frye said one or two suspects might still be at-large.

Frye also said Kiandas Washington, 19, is now in custody at NPD on a warrant for murder and four counts aggravated assault. Washington had been in ACSO’s custody without bond after deputies Wednesday arrested him on the warrant.

Armstrong said the department has made great progress and believes the remaining suspects will be arrested by the end of the weekend.

Police identified the suspects using surveillance footage from multiple businesses and private citizens, of which ACSO aided in locating, Armstrong said.

The Oct. 1 shootings reportedly began at Zippy convenience store at 391 Old Washington Road, where officers reported early Sunday morning in reference to multiple shots fired in the parking lot.

Police said officers were then called to an area on East Franklin Street near Club Paradise, also on reports of shots fired.

After reporting to another shots fired call on Jefferson Street, officers then arrived in the 500 block of West Stiers Lane, where officers discovered the body of Richard Frazier. Frazier was found dead in his 2006 Cadillac, which reportedly had several bullet holes in the trunk area and had its rear windshield shattered.

Altogether, more than 130 shots from a high-powered rifle were allegedly fired, Armstrong said.

Police believe the same individuals perpetrated all the shootings.

The investigation remains ongoing as police search for the remaining suspects.