Natchez man sentenced to federal prison to face grand jury indictment for May 2017 murder

Published 10:45 pm Thursday, June 21, 2018


NATCHEZ — A Natchez man sentenced last week to federal prison was returned Wednesday to Adams County, facing a grand jury indictment for a May 2017 murder.

On Thursday, a U.S. district judge sentenced 19-year-old Kiandas Washington to serve 13 months in federal prison followed by three years of supervised release, according to a statement by the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Email newsletter signup

That sentence stems from a September 2017 incident in which Washington stole a Glock 9-mm pistol from a box sitting on the counter at Bowie Outfitters while store clerks were distracted, authorities said. He was subsequently arrested by Natchez police and eventually faced federal charges after an investigation by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Southwest Mississippi Interdiction Narcotics Enforcement Unit.

After his sentencing, Washington was then returned to Adams County on a detainer and officially rebooked Wednesday on charges of murder and four counts of aggravated assault, Adams County Spokesperson Lt. Cal Green said.

Washington was arrested on Oct. 19 in connection to what authorities described as a rampant shooting spree throughout Natchez the night of Sept. 30 and morning of Oct. 1, 2017. The shooting involved multiple suspects, led to the death of 34-year-old Richard Frazier and allegedly involved more than 130 shots being fired randomly all over town.

Washington does not have a court date set for the incident, Green said.

Additionally, Washington still faces charges from a separate incident, in which he is accused of shooting and killing 32-year-old Kelvin Sadler on May 16, 2017.

Authorities said Sadler was sleeping in his bedroom when an intruder shot him multiple times, including once in the head.

Five days later, Washington was arrested in Ferriday while carrying a firearm, which authorities confiscated.

Months after, the Adams County Sheriff’s Office said they received ballistic reports connecting that weapon to Sadler’s killing, and deputies arrested Washington in February for the alleged murder.

He is currently being held at the Adams County Jail, though Green said federal agencies have a detainer on him, meaning he will return to their custody once his issues with the state have been handled, Green said.