Concordia Parish voters elect school board members
Voters in Concordia Parish elected new school board members in several contested races during Tuesday’s general election.
- In the race for the School Board, District 3, Place B: Lisette Lowry Forman, no party affiliation, beat Republican Amy V. DeWitt 707 to 696.
- In the race for School Board, District 4, Place A: Derrick D. Carson, no party affiliation, beat Republican Brad Clifton 770 to 423.
- In the race for School Board, District 4, Place B: Democrat Angela White Hayes beat Jeffery Goodman, no party affiliation 750 to 415.
- In the race for School Board, District 5, Place B: John Bostic, no party affiliation beat Republican Ralph Simmons 839 to 563.
Alderman Town of Clayton
In the race for Alderman Town of Clayton: Wilbert Washington, independent, beat Carl Ray Thompson, independent, 122 to 64.
In other Concordia Parish races:
- Robert Maples will be the new mayor of Ridgecrest since he was the only candidate who qualified to run for position before the July 20 qualifying deadline.
Other races in Concordia Parish that went uncontested after the July 20 qualifying deadline and were not on Tuesday’s ballots included:
- Constable Justice of the Peace District 2: Terence A. Williams, incumbent, who was unopposed
- Concordia Parish School Board, District 1 Place A: Fred Butcher, incumbent, who was unopposed.
Statewide measures on ballots in Concordia Parish on Tuesday, Concordia Parish voted:
- CA No. 1 (ACT 719-SB 31) Prohibit felon from public office: 4,457 yes to 1,547 no.
- CA No. 2 (ACT 722-SB 243) Unanimous jury for noncapital felonies: 3,456 yes to 2,500 no.
- CA No. 3(ACT 717-SB263) Permit donations from political subdivisions: 3,671 yes to 2,116 no.
- CA No. 4 (ACT 720-SB 59) Transportation Trust Fund: 3,023 yes to 2,775 no.
- CA No. 5 (ACT 721-SB 163) Extend eligibility for tax exemptions: 4,461 yes to 1,326 no.
- CA No. 6 (ACT 718-SB 164) Reappraisal of residential property — 3,371 yes to 2,353 no.
- PW Fantasy Sports — Authorize Fantasy Sports Contests — Act 322, 2018: 2,939 yes to no 2,878.
- U.S. Representative, 5th Congressional District: Ralph Abraham, Republican 3,812 votes; Jessee Carlton Fleenor, Democrat 2,013 votes; Kyle Randol, Libertarian 52 votes; Billy Burkette, independent 93 votes.
- A primary election for Louisiana Secretary of State to fill the seat of Tom Schedler, who resigned in May after a former employee filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against him.
Here’s how Concordia Parish voted:
Kyle Ardoin, who has served in the position after being appointed to fill the seat after Schedler stepped down, got 1,623 votes; Heather Cloud 309 votes; A.G. Crowe 131 votes; “Rick” Edmonds 461 votes; Thomas J. Kennedy III 847 voters; and Julie Stokes 378 votes.
Democratic Party candidates: “Gwen” Collins-Greenup 1,113 votes; Renee Fontenot Free 1,104 votes.
No party candidate: Matthew Paul “Matt” Moreau got 72 votes.