Officials: Fatal fire started in kitchen

Published 12:11 am Friday, December 14, 2018


NATCHEZ — Mississippi State Fire Marshal investigators have identified the man who died in a Wednesday night trailer fire at 81 Redd Loop Road in Adams County, officials said.

Edward Proby, who was in his mid-50s, died in the fire, said Ventris Green, acting Natchez fire chief, citing the state fire marshal.

Email newsletter signup

Green said the fire marshal’s investigation ruled the fire an accident and that it started in the kitchen.

“A pot on the stove caught on fire, and they tried to put it out but weren’t able to,” Green said. “He (Proby) was asleep at the time.”

Adams County Coroner James Lee said he could not yet confirm the victim’s identity until he completes his investigation and results of testing.

The fire was reported at approximately 8 p.m. Wednesday and three other people were transported to the hospital by ambulance. One of the victims, officials said, was later flown to another medical facility out of the area.

No information was available on the other victims’ conditions Thursday, officials said.

Some 16 firefighters were on the scene of Wednesday’s fire for approximately two-and-a-half hours, but Green said the fire was extinguished within 30 minutes of firefighters arriving.

Firefighters, Green said, stay on the scene to make sure no hotspots come back and to ensure the fire is fully extinguished.