Licenses for small repairs to be required by City of Natchez
Published 12:14 am Sunday, January 20, 2019
NATCHEZ — Contractors working on repair projects under $10,000 in Natchez will soon be required to have a city-issued license, city officials said.
The Natchez Mayor and Board of Aldermen unanimously passed an ordinance on Sept. 25 requiring the licenses, said Robert Latham, attorney for the City of Natchez.
The licenses, with an annual fee of $100, will require repair contractors performing work on jobs, under $10,000, that require a permit to have a minimum of $300,000 in liability insurance, Latham said.
Email newsletter signup
Building permits are required in the city limits for all construction work related to the structural integrity of the building.
The licenses, city leaders said, would ensure that people doing repair work are insured to do such work and to cover any losses that could occur.
Riccardo Giani, city planner, said the city hopes to hold an informational meeting with contractors in the near future to explain the process and to answer questions before the city begins enforcement of the ordinance that went into effect on Nov. 4 after being advertised on Oct. 4.
A date for the public meeting has not yet been said, Giani said.
The new ordinance requires:
- All applicants to appear before the board of examiners for an interview;
- Small contractors to provide a tax identification number or Social Security number;
- Small contractors to present evidence of public liability and property damage insurance with minimum limits of $300,000 liability coverage;
- Small contractors to present two signed reference letters from work history;
- Small contractors to pay a $100 license fee per year due upon filing and subsequently on Jan. 1 every year thereafter.
“All interested parties are asked to contact the Department of Inspections 601-445-7512 and provide their contact information so that a meeting can be set up between the applicant and the Board of Examiners,” Giani said. “… After the introductory period of this new regulation, contractors pulling building permits will be expected to furnish a City of Natchez license, or will not be issued a building permit.”
For more information, call 601-445-7512.