Natchez man who is suspect in Brookhaven homicide turns himself in

Published 11:02 pm Monday, July 22, 2019


BROOKHAVEN — A Natchez man who is one of four suspects in a home burglary and homicide and who had been at large since the Saturday night crime turned himself in at the Adams County Sheriff’s Office at approximately 10:15 p.m. Monday, officials said.

“His mom brought him into the jail and he turned himself in without incident,” said Travis Patten Adams County sheriff.

Email newsletter signup

Justin Anderson, 24, is one of four suspects in the Saturday night burglary in which police say a woman was killed when she entered her house as it was being burglarized.

Two of the suspects are in custody of the Brookhaven Police Department and one other suspect, who had been on the loose, was shot and killed Monday afternoon in Copiah County in a shootout with law enforcement.

Anderson, Patten said, is in the custody of the Adams County Sheriff’s Office until they turn him over to Brookhaven police on Tuesday morning.

Brookhaven had issued a press release asking people to share information on the two suspects who had been at large and warned that they should be considered armed and dangerous.

Anderson faces a charge of murder while involved in a burglary of an occupied dwelling.

The other suspect who was killed Monday afternoon was Shawan Allen, 20, of Brookhaven, who died at the scene of the shootout with law enforcement officers Monday in the Beauregard community, just north of Wesson, said Brookhaven Police Chief Kenneth Collins.

The other two suspects were arrested on charges of capital murder for the shooting death of 21-year-old Zariah Antel Newton, who reportedly walked in on four intruders in her Mason Street Brookhaven house late Saturday night.

Newton was pronounced dead at King’s Daughters Medical Center shortly before midnight Sunday.

Police arrested Jatavious Berry, 19, of 900 Williams Street in Brookhaven Sunday night and transported him to the Lincoln County jail.

Adrian Smith was arrested at the Evers International Airport in Jackson just before noon Monday, according to media sources.

The Jackson Municipal Airport Authority said their police department captured Smith at 11:47 a.m., and he was turned over to U.S. Marshals.

Collins said Newton and her boyfriend received an alert about 10:30 p.m. Saturday that someone was inside their house at 202 Mason Road.

“They got an alert and just went to their house. Police were not notified,” he said.

The couple confronted the four intruders and Newton was shot at the house. Her boyfriend was not injured, Collins said.

Police learned Sunday night that Allen had kidnapped his 17-year-old girlfriend in Copiah County where she lives as part of his escape plan.

“He went there, held her at gunpoint and tried to make her take him to Jackson,” he said.

Collins said Allen was located in Copiah County Sunday night by an off-duty officer who spotted a car being driven erratically.

“He turned around and blue-lighted it and at that point, the vehicle accelerated at a high rate of speed,” Collins said.

The car nearly hit another vehicle head-on. Collins said it is unclear who was driving.

During the pursuit, Allen tried to carjack a homeowner’s car. He held the man at gunpoint, the homeowner told him he didn’t have keys. Allen then escaped into the woods.

Collins said his department was joined in Copiah County by law enforcement officers from Crystal Springs, Mississippi Highway Patrol, U.S. Marshals, Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics, Mississippi Bureau of Investigations and a tracker dog and an officer from Simpson County. Jackson law enforcement officers brought a drone with infrared tracking ability.

“My heart goes out to the family who lost a loved one in Brookhaven and to the Copiah County law enforcement,” Patten said, adding he was glad Anderson turned himself in. “I appreciate the hard work of the Adams County Sheriff’s Office deputies. This is the third suspect that has turned themselves into our office in the past couple of months and it is because of their hard work.”

Patten said he is proud of the relationship his office has with the Brookhaven Police Department as well.

Anderson was acquitted by a Lincoln County jury in for first-degree murder in the 2017 shooting death of Billy Ray Thomas Jr. after 40 minutes of deliberations in a three-day trial. Thomas was killed in November 2017 as he was leaving the Oasis Club on South First Street.

They also came back with a verdict of not guilty for the aggravated assault charge against Anderson for the alleged shooting of Joshua Thomas, who was standing in front of his cousin as they exited the club that night.

Brookhaven police posted surveillance video taken inside Newton’s home that appears to show all four men, at least two with guns, searching through the house. The video shows wood flying as the door is broken as they enter the home. The four men rummage through the cabinets, look in the refrigerator and then walk off camera to look in other locations in the home.