Absentee voting underway for municipal election primary
NATCHEZ — Absentee voting is underway for the 2020 Natchez Municipal election party primaries that will be held June 2.
Natchez City Clerk Servia Fortenberry said that as of Friday 298 absentee votes had been cast, including 90 in Ward 1, 33 in Ward 2, 60 in Ward 3, 64 in Ward 4, 14 in Ward 5 and 37 in Ward 6.
In person absentee voting will be offered from 8 a.m. until noon on May 23 and May 30, Fortenberry said.
“Voters will need to wear a mask and bring a valid identification card,” Fortenberry said.
Otherwise, absentee ballot applications can be obtained by calling the city clerk’s office at 601-445-7507 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fortenberry also advised that absentee voters who are casting ballots by mail should follow the guidelines listed below
For the Primary Election to be held Tuesday, June 2, absentee voting material will contain:
- Two envelopes: one for the absentee ballot application and one for the absentee ballot. The envelopes are marked on the front in the bottom left corner.
- One absentee ballot application
- One absentee ballot (orange)
The absentee ballot application instructions:
1. Verify your name in the upper right corner of the absentee ballot application
2. The voter will sign the absentee ballot application marked (Signature of Absentee Elector) this is the first highlighted line at the bottom of the application
3. A witness will sign the absentee ballot application marked (Signature of Witness) the second highlighted line (the witness can be your spouse, a neighbor, a friend, etc.) It cannot be a candidate seeking office within the City of Natchez.
4. Place the absentee ballot application in the provided envelope marked (For Absentee Ballot Application Only). The envelopes are marked on the front, in the bottom left corner.
5. Seal the absentee ballot application envelope, place it in the mail
The Absentee Ballot Voting Instructions:
1. Once you have voted on the (orange) absentee ballot, place it in the envelope marked (For Absentee Ballot Only). The envelopes are marked on the front in the bottom left corner.
2. Seal the absentee ballot envelope. On the back of the envelope, print your name on the first highlighted line and sign your name on the second highlighted line.
3. A Witness will sign the third highlighted line on the back of the absentee ballot envelope marked (Attesting witness). The witness can be your spouse, a neighbor, a friend, etc. It cannot be a candidate seeking office within the City of Natchez.
4. Before placing the sealed absentee ballot envelope in the mail, double check to make sure you have signed it and that it has been signed by a witness.
5. The absentee ballot and the absentee ballot application must be mailed in separate envelopes, which were provided to you in your absentee voting materials.
Any questions or concerns, please call the City Clerk, Servia Fortenberry at 601-446-2425.
Absentee ballot and application must be in the City Clerk’s Office by 5 p.m. on Monday, June 1, 2020.
You cannot hand deliver your absentee voting materials. The ballot and application must be mailed.
NATCHEZ — A former chairman of the nursing program at Alcorn State University in Natchez who taught there in various... read more