• 45°

With three weeks before school starts, Natchez officials still working to secure bus contract

Who will run buses when Natchez public schools start the new school year in September?

That was one of the questions on the minds of Natchez-Adams School District board members Tuesday.

With three weeks left before the start of the new school year on Sept. 9, Natchez-Adams School District officials have yet to extend a contract with Durham School Services.

The most recent contract with Durham expired on June 30.

Board attorney Bruce Kuehnle told board members Wednesday that he expects to talk with Durham’s attorney in the coming days to extend the contract for the upcoming school year.

Kuehnle said the school district sent a letter to Durham requesting an extension.

One issue that needs to be addressed, Kuehnle told the board is a part of the previous contract that had been questioned by legislative auditors.

Auditors said a clause in the contract that requires the district to pay Durham, even if services are not being provided to the district is not allowable.

Kuehnle said to the board that he hopes to find “some middle ground” that is not in violation.

Board member Phillip West asked what the worst case scenario was in the event that school district and Durham services could not come to an agreement.

Kuehnle said a provision in the contract that expired provides the school district with an opportunity to purchase buses from Durham in the event there is no contract.

NASD Superintendent Fred Butcher said approximately 80% of students will be attending school virtually this year. The school district would need buses for the remaining 20% of students who will be attending using a hybrid model of learning — getting part virtual and part in-class instruction. Butcher also said the school district plans to use buses for food delivery and other services.

Butcher assured board members that in the event an agreement could not be reached the school district will still be in a position to provide bus services to students.

An extension of the contract would be for one year, Kuehnle said. Kuehnle said he will have more information for the board when they gather again in September.

News

Natchez school board cancels bid opening for new high school due to COVID-19

News

5 Miss-Lou residents die of COVID-19 over weekend

News

Remains found in Natchez neighborhood

News

The Dart: Natchez resident loves music

News

Coroner: A Natchez woman dies with COVID-19 Sunday

DEVELOPING NEWS

Suspect in high-speed vehicle chase arrested in Natchez

BREAKING NEWS

Natchez Police investigating Saturday shooting that injured two people

News

Coroner: Two Ferriday men died with COVID-19 Saturday at Merit Health Natchez

News

Natchez freedmen and women largely funded Emancipation Monument in Washington, D.C.

News

Adams County coroner loses 25-year-old granddaughter to COVID-19, urges compliance with health guidelines

News

35-year-old Ferriday resident dies with COVID-19 as cases, hospitalizations continue rising

News

‘American Pickers’ star Mike Wolfe picks Natchez

News

COVID-19 numbers spike locally just before holidays

News

Norm Yvon resigns as lead administrator of Cathedral School

BREAKING NEWS

ACCS falls to Leake Academy in MAIS Class 5A state championship

News

Second suspect arrested in Tuesday armed robbery

Business

Carpenter Newsmedia to acquire Lake Charles American Press

News

Longtime Natchez police officer Otis Mazique dies at 68

News

Man robbed at gunpoint in yard, takes gun from suspect

News

Adams County Sheriff’s Office gets armored truck

News

State reports new Adams County COVID-19 death

News

Bid opening for new Natchez High School postponed

News

Supervisors complain about trash blowing out of trucks

News

ACCS students excited about Thursday’s championship football game