Ferriday man dies in hospital after Monday evening shooting

Published 3:14 pm Thursday, February 15, 2024

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

FERRIDAY, La. — A Ferriday who had been “clinging to life” after a Monday evening shooting is now deceased, Ferriday Police Chief Sam King said.

Zavier Milligan, 20, of Ferriday, was pronounced Wednesday just after noon in an Alexandria hospital after he’d been on life support since Monday, King added.

The shooting occurred at Adam’s Grocery #2 in Ferriday and four arrests were made shortly after.

Email newsletter signup

Ferriday Police Department received a call at approximately 5:54 p.m. of a gunshot victim at Trinity Medical Center. Milligan was reportedly transported by private vehicle to the hospital and later transferred to Rapides in Alexandria.

Following an investigation, officers learned the shooting took place at Adam’s Grocery on Louisiana Avenue after an exchange between several people.

The following people were arrested in conjunction with this incident, with updated charges forthcoming:

A 16-year-old was initially charged with attempted second-degree murder, illegal possession of a gun by a juvenile, illegal use of weapons, and obstruction of justice. No name was given because of juvenile status.

Ronnie Perkins, 24, was charged with obstruction of justice and resisting an officer with force or violence.

Paul Swanson Jr., 19, was charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a firearm, obstruction of justice, illegal use of weapons, two counts of illegal carrying of weapons, and had an outstanding bench warrant for failure to appear.

Jyrin Gibson, 21, was charged with obstruction of justice, two counts of aggravated assault with a firearm, and illegal carrying of weapons.

“More charges are expected as we continue to investigate this case,” King said.

Swanson, Gibson, and Milligan were named in a Sunday, Feb. 11, incident where gunshots were fired in city limits, King said, adding some of the charges against Swanson and Gibson are related to the Sunday incident.

The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with more information should contact the Ferriday Police Department.