U.S. Marshals apprehend Texas fugitive after two hour standoff at Natchez home

Published 10:35 am Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

NATCHEZ — U.S. Marshals, with assistance from the Adams County Sheriff’s Office and the Natchez Police Department, captured a fugitive wanted in Texas who was hiding  in a home on Martin’s Lane in Natchez on Tuesday morning after a two-hour standoff.

Adams County Sheriff Travis Patten said his office was contacted at approximately 7:30 a.m. by the U.S. Marshal Service requesting assistance in apprehending Eric Harris, who was wanted out of Coryell County, Texas, on a family violence assault by occlusion charge. Texas law has an enhancement for family violence assault by choking or impeding breathing.

When U.S. Marshals and Adams County Sheriff’s Deputies attempted to make contact with those in the residence, they encountered two pit bulldogs. Marshals then contacted the Natchez Police Department and requested assistance from its animal control officers.

Email newsletter signup

“Family members in the home complied and animal control helped bring the dogs to safety before deputies and marshals engaged the suspect,” Patten said.

For two hours, the Marshals tried to talk with the suspect to get him to surrender, but the suspect refused, the sheriff said.

After trying to talk with the suspect failed, Marshals then used drone technology to locate where the suspect was hiding in the residence.

“They were not sure whether he was deceased or alive, but a window of opportunity opened up to engage the suspect and the Marshals took that opportunity,” Patten said.

He said they were able to make contact with the suspect and make an arrest without further incident. Adams County Sheriff’s Deputies transported Harris to the Adams County Jail, where he awaits extradition back to Texas.

“The marshals, deputies, police, and animal control did an excellent job with this barricaded suspect,” Patten said. “We have seen so many officers killed this month when dealing with a barricaded suspect. I’m glad everyone involved utilized their training and experience to bring this apprehension to a peaceful solution with no one getting hurt.”